Smokey California Avocado, Shrimp, and White Bean Gazpacho
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1 1/2||cups||diced, peeled, and seeded cucumber (for Kirby and hot house cucumbers, it is not necessary to peel cucumbers.)|
|1||cup||diced red onion|
|1 1/2||cups||canned tomato juice|
|1/3||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||sherry wine vinegar|
|2||Tbsp.||finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or to taste|
|1||cup||cooked rock shrimp, very coarsely chopped|
|2/3||cup||cooked cannellini beans|
|1||California Avocado, about 8 ounces, cut in small dice|
|1/2||Tbsp.||salt, or to taste|
|As needed||Tortilla chips as needed for garnish|
|As needed||Chopped cilantro as needed for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for about 30 seconds; slip skins off.
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally.
- Over a bowl lined with a sieve, seed tomatoes, catching and reserving juice.
- Cut each tomato half in two.
- In a food processor, in batches if necessary, puree tomato, cucumber, red onion, and shallot.
- Stir in reserved fresh tomato juice, canned juice, olive oil, vinegar, and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in shrimp, beans, avocado, and salt.
- Chill at least 3 hours to marry flavors.
- Serve cool but not icy.
Serving Size = 1.5 Cup
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.