Smoky California Avocado, Shrimp, and White Bean Gazpacho
Ingredients2 3/4 tomatoes 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled, and seeded cucumber (for Kirby and hot house cucumbers, it is not necessary to peel cucumbers.) 1 cup diced red onion 2 small shallots 1 1/2 cups canned tomato juice 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil 2 1/2 Tbsp. sherry wine vinegar 2 Tbsp. finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or to taste 1 cup cooked rock shrimp, very coarsely chopped 2/3 cup cooked cannellini beans 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and cut in small dice 1/2 Tbsp. salt, or to taste As needed Tortilla chips as needed for garnish As needed Chopped cilantro as needed for garnish
- Peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for about 30 seconds; slip skins off.
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally.
- Over a bowl lined with a sieve, seed tomatoes, catching and reserving juice.
- Cut each tomato half in two.
- In a food processor, in batches if necessary, puree tomato, cucumber, red onion, and shallot.
- Stir in reserved fresh tomato juice, canned juice, olive oil, vinegar, and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in shrimp, beans, avocado, and salt.
- Chill at least 3 hours to marry flavors.
- Serve cool but not icy.
Serving Size = 1.5 Cup
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados