Spicy Carrot, Cucumber and Fresh California Avocado Salad
|Cucumber Salad, recipe follows|
|2||lb.||baby carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise|
|4 1/2||oz.||sourdough bread, cut into cubes|
|3||Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, seeded, diced|
|1/4||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|As needed||Toasted black sesame seeds, as needed for garnish|
|As needed||Olive oil, as needed|
|Cucumber Salad (Yield: 6 1/2 cups)|
|2||lb.||Japanese or pickling cucumbers, thinly slided|
|5||oz.||shallots, thinly sliced|
|1/4||oz.||Thai chili, thinly sliced|
|2||oz.||ginger, finely julienned|
|3||cups||rice wine vinegar|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well to dissolve the sugar. Transfer to a smaller container.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss the sourdough bread cubes with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crisp and light brown. Set aside to cool.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch carrots for 4-5 minutes until crisp tender. Drain carrots and place in a bowl of ice water.
- Drain cucumber salad, reserving some of the liquid. Drain carrots and mix with cucumber salad in a large bowl with some of the cucumber salad liquid. Add diced Fresh California Avocado, croutons, cilantro leaves, sea salt, and about ¼ cup of the olive oil. Mix gently. Add more salt or olive oil as needed to taste.
- Divide the salad among six bowls (approx. 2 ½ cups per bowl). Drizzle each with a little more olive oil. Sprinkle each with the sesame seeds. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.