Three Way California AvoTacos
Ingredients48 corn tortillas, 6" Black Bean Mash (recipe follows) Pickled California Avocado Slices (recipe follows) Lime Crema Sauce (recipe follows) Lime Crema Slaw (recipe follows) Fried California Avocado Slices (recipe follows) 48 grape tomatoes, sliced ⅛” thick on the bias 24 jalapeno peppers, sliced 1/16” thick on the bias 3 limes, each cut into 8 wedges Black Bean Mash (Yield: 3 cups) 3 cups (18 oz.) canned black beans, reserving ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. liquid 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin 1 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder 1 tsp. smoked paprika 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground Pickled California Avocado (Yield: 48 slices) 1 cup (8 oz.) white wine vinegar 2 Tbsp. kosher salt 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar 2 Tbsp. Aleppo pepper 4 ripe but firm, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 12 slices, approximately ½” thick slices 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced 1/16” on the bias 2 garlic cloves Lime Crema Sauce (Yield: approx. 2 cups) 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) vegan mayonnaise 3/4 cup (6 oz.) lime juice, freshly squeezed 2 Tbsp. lime zest 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground Lime Crema Slaw (Yield: 10 cups) 8 cups (12 oz.) Napa cabbage, shredded 2 cups (12 oz.) mango, ¼” diced 2 cups (12 oz.) ripe, Fresh California Avocado, ¼” diced 3 cups (12 oz.) orange bell pepper, ⅛” julienned 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) Lime Crema Sauce 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground Fried California Avocado Slices (Yield: 48 slices) 3 cups (15 oz.) all-purpose flour 2 cups (16 oz.) vegan eggs 12 cups (24 oz.) panko breadcrumbs 4 ripe but firm, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and each cut into 12 slices, approximately ½” thick Vegetable oil for deep frying
Black Bean Mash
- Combine beans and reserved liquid from the can. Add remaining ingredients and mash to a smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Pickled California Avocado Slices
- Combine white wine vinegar, salt, sugar and Aleppo pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place avocado slices in a deep bowl. Add jalapeno slices and whole garlic cloves. Pour cooled pickling liquid over the avocado slices. Cover bowl tightly and gently rotate to distribute seasoning. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Lime Crema Sauce
- Stir all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined. Set aside.
Lime Crema Slaw
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl with Lime Crema Sauce. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Fried California Avocado Slices
- Heat oil to 350°F.
- Place flour, vegan eggs, and panko breadcrumbs in 3 separate bowls.
- Dredge each avocado slice in flour, then eggs, then panko. Place on a tray. Refrigerate.
- When the oil is ready, place breaded avocado slices in the fry basket, lower the basket, and fry for about one minute or until golden and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined tray to drain.
Assemble, per order:
- For each serving, place 4 corn tortillas on a hot flat top/griddle and char lightly.
- On serving plate, double stack tortillas forming two stacks. Evenly spread 2 Tbsp. Black Bean Mash on each of the two top facing tortillas, leaving a ½” border.
- Place ⅓ cup of Lime Crema Slaw on top of Black Bean Mash. Then top each with 2 Fried California Avocado Slices and 2 Pickled California Avocado Slices.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon of Lime Crema Sauce on each taco in a zigzag pattern. Place one grape tomato (sliced) on top of each.
- Garnish plate with 2 slices fresh jalapeno, 2 lime wedges, and 1 pickled jalapeno slice from Pickled California Avocados.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados