Mahi mahi fish filets, cumin, oregano and achiote paste on a torta-style roll topped with fresh slices of California Avocado.
Achiote Grilled Fish Sandwich with California Avocado and Roasted Pineapple-Jalapeño Spread
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients4 Tbsp. achiote paste 1 large orange, juiced 1/2 tsp. cumin, ground 1 tsp. dried oregano 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. fresh black pepper 4 (4-oz.) mahi mahi fish filets 1 Tbsp. canola oil 4 torta-style sandwich rolls 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded 1 lime, juiced 1/8 cup cilantro leaves 1/8 cup cilantro leaves 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise 4 Tbsp. Roasted Pineapple-Jalapeño Spread (see make ahead recipe, below) 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced Roasted Pineapple-Jalapeño Spread Yield: 1/4 cup 1 1/4 cups ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and diced 1 jalapeño 1 Tbsp. olive oil 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. fresh black pepper
- In a medium bowl, prepare the marinade by combining the achiote paste, orange juice, cumin and oregano; season with salt and fresh black pepper.
- Brush the marinade on both sides of each fish filet and marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium-high. Remove fish from refrigerator and coat lightly with canola oil.
- Place on the grill and turn after two minutes.
- Split the sandwich rolls and lightly grill.
- Combine cabbage, lime juice and cilantro in a bowl.
- Spread mayonnaise on the bottom of each roll. Top with cabbage slaw, fish and Roasted Pineapple-Jalapeño Spread, and finish with sliced avocado.
- Place top on each roll and serve.
Roasted Pineapple-Jalapeño Spread Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Toss the pineapple and jalapeño in the oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast until lightly caramelized, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- If you’re concerned about the heat at this point you can split and remove the seeds from the jalapeño, if not place the pineapple and jalapeño in a blender and puree until smooth.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados