Smoke like a pro and impress your friends with brisket sandwiches topped with a tangy and smoky California Avocado relish.
Brisket Sandwich with Smoked California Avocado Relish
Total Time: 10 min
Ingredients1 fresh whole beef brisket*, roughly 8 lbs., or 2 lbs. cooked smoked brisket 1/8 tsp. salt, or salt to taste 1/8 pepper, or pepper to taste 8 small brioche buns Smoked California Avocado Puree (see make-ahead recipe below) Smoked California Avocado Relish (see make-ahead recipe below) 1/4 cup Cotija cheese *If you don’t have a smoker, you can smoke brisket on a gas or charcoal grill. See below for instructions. Smoked California Avocado Puree 2 ripe, fresh California Avocados, smoked, peeled and seeded (see smoke technique listed below) 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro 2 Tbsp. lime juice 1/4 cup crème fraiche 1/8 tsp. salt, or salt to taste As needed pepper to taste Smoked California Avocado Relish 2 ripe, fresh California Avocados, smoked and peeled and seeded (see smoke technique listed below) 2 Tbsp. olive oil 1/4 cup chopped green onion 1/4 cup diced white onion 3 jalapeño peppers, diced 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- Take an 8 lb. whole brisket or smaller, with 1/4 inch fat, trim excess fat and rub with salt and pepper.
- Place brisket in smoker. If you don’t have a smoker, please see alternate method below.*
- Add wood chips to smoker and set smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Smoke the brisket for 11 hours. Check to ensure the meat has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees F then remove brisket from smoker, wrap in foil and let it rest for two hours.
- Toast brioche buns. Spread smoked avocado puree on bottom bun, then layer on sliced brisket. Top with smoked avocado relish and Cotija cheese.
Smoked California Avocado Puree
- Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until used.
Smoked California Avocado Relish
- Cut the avocado in half, remove seed and rub the inside of the avocado with oil.
- Prep the green onion, white onion and jalapeño peppers by rubbing with olive oil.
- Add wood to smoker and set smoker to 220 degrees F. Smoke the avocado and vegetables for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool, then scoop out smoked avocado into a bowl. Chop the vegetables and add to bowl along with olive oil, while breaking avocado into smaller chunks. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Smoking Brisket – Gas Grill: Set burner on one side of the grill to med high and one side on low, so you have a hot and cool side. Place a smoker box, full of desired wood chips, on hot side and brisket on cool side. Close grill and let cook at 225 degrees F until a 190 degrees F internal temperature is reached. Wrap in foil and rest for 2 hours.
Smoking Brisket – Charcoal grill: Place coal on one side so you have a hot and cool side. When coals are ready, add soaked wood chips on top of coals and set brisket on cool side. Cover and cook at 225 degrees F until an internal temperature of 190 degrees F is reached. Wrap in foil and rest for 2 hours.
Technique above can be used to smoke produce for California avocado relish and puree. Cut avocado in half, remove seed, rub with oil and place on grill skin side down. For veggies, drizzle or lightly rub with oil.
Serving Suggestion: Serve at an outdoor party with salad and fresh fruit for a full meal.
Beverage Pairing: Fresh squeezed lemonade or iced tea
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados