Mashed avocado, chile peppers, and onions enliven these moist, lightly spiced hamburgers. They look pan-fried when cooked in a browning skillet.
California Avocado Beef Patties
|1||1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado|
|1 1/2||tsp.||lemon juice, plus extra as needed|
|2||Tbsp.||diced green chili peppers|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|2||tsp.||chopped green onion|
|1||clove garlic, minced or pressed|
|1||lb.||lean ground beef|
|1/2||cup||shredded jack cheese|
|4||hamburger buns, split and toasted butter lettuce leaves|
|4||thin slices tomato|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Halve avocado lengthwise and remove seed; then peel. Slice the avocado and coat pieces with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a bowl, mash remaining avocado half.
- Stir in chile peppers, egg, onion, the remaining lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Add beef and combine thoroughly (mixture will be moist).
- With your hands, shape meat into 4 patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
- Microwave a 10-inch browning dish or skillet on HIGH (100%) for 4 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully remove dish (the bottom is very hot) to a heat proof surface.
- Place patties in dish. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 3 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Turn patties over. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 2 minutes or until juices run clear when patty is slashed.
- Sprinkle each patty with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Cover with wax paper and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Arrange patties on bottoms of buns and top each patty with lettuce leaves, tomato slice, and a few avocado slices.
- Cover with remaining buns.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.