This juicy turkey mushroom burger is extra tasty with its fresh produce toppings of creamy California Avocado, sweet ripe tomatoes and zesty arugula. It’s a delicious choice, providing nutrition of 30% DV Vitamin C, 35 % DV Vitamin K and 20% DV Vitamin B5, for summer gatherings such as Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.
Turkey Mushroom Burger
Total Time: 15 min
Vitamin A 743 IU; Vitamin C 18 mg; Calcium 95 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 8 IU; Folate 111 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15 %
Ingredients1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided 1 sweet white or yellow onion, peeled and minced 4 (2.5-inch diameter) Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and minced 1 Tbsp. Gourmet Garden™ red chile paste 1 tsp. Gourmet Garden™ chunky garlic paste 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper, plus additional to taste 12 oz. lean ground turkey breast 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice 4 multigrain or whole wheat hamburger buns, warmed 1 cup fresh arugula leaves 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced As needed Sea salt, to taste
- In a large skillet heat half of the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent; do not brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooled onions, mushrooms, red chile and garlic pastes, black pepper and ground turkey. The mixture may seem very moist. Form into large patties and press an indentation in the center of each patty.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet, warm over medium heat and turn skillet to coat with the oil. Place turkey burger patties into the skillet and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, gently flipping the patties several times to avoid charring. Remove from heat when center of patties reach 165 degrees F. Keep warm while preparing the buns.
- Mash ¼ of the avocado slices with the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper if desired; spread on bottom buns and top with arugula leaves.
- Place cooked burger patties on top of the arugula. Top with tomato and avocado slices and season if desired. Place top bun over the avocado and serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with California Avocado Coleslaw.
Variation: In a hurry? Use fresh or frozen turkey burger patties. Sauté the onions and mushrooms in a separate pan while the patties are cooking, then top the burgers with the onions, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and California Avocados; season to taste.
Beverage Pairing: Iced tea or rosé wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados