California Avocado, Rosemary Chicken, and Pancetta Panini
Ingredients6 boneless and sinkless chicken breast halves As needed Olive oil, as needed 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely 1 Califoria avocado 1 Tbsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest As needed Salt, as needed As needed Pepper, as needed 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise 12 pieces focaccia, about 4" X 5" each 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 6 slices (rounds) pancetta (Italian bacon), fried crisp. Two to three slices of bacon may be substituted for each slice of pancetta. As needed Arugula leaves as needed
- Pound each chicken breast hapf to an even thickness, about 3/8 “. To pound chicken, put 1 breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with mallet or the flat side of a French knife to desired thickness, repeat with remaining chicken.
- Lightly coat each piece with olive oil; rub each with some of the rosemary and garlic.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 12.
- To prepare sandwiches:
- Roughly mash avocado; stir in lemon juice and zest; reserve.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan lightly filmed with olive oil, pan-grill chicken until just firm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes per side; reserve.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of the avocado mixture on 6 pieces of focaccia; spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise on remaining pieces of focaccia, mayonnaise-side down.
- Lightly film a large, hot frying pan with olive oil.
- Pan grill sandwiches, lightly pressing down on each with a spatula, as they cook, until focaccia is browned on the bottom.
- Turn; repeat procedure.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados