California Avocado, Rosemary Chicken, and Pancetta Panini
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|6||boneless and sinkless chicken breast halves|
|As needed||Olive oil, as needed|
|2||tsp.||finely chopped fresh rosemary|
|3||cloves garlic, chopped finely|
|1||tsp.||finely chopped lemon zest|
|As needed||Salt, as needed|
|As needed||Pepper, as needed|
|12||pieces focaccia, about 4" X 5" each|
|2||medium tomatoes, sliced|
|6||slices (rounds) pancetta (Italian bacon), fried crisp. Two to three slices of bacon may be substituted for each slice of pancetta.|
|As needed||Arugula leaves as needed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Pound each chicken breast hapf to an even thickness, about 3/8 “. To pound chicken, put 1 breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with mallet or the flat side of a French knife to desired thickness, repeat with remaining chicken.
- Lightly coat each piece with olive oil; rub each with some of the rosemary and garlic.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 12.
- To prepare sandwiches:
- Roughly mash avocado; stir in lemon juice and zest; reserve.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan lightly filmed with olive oil, pan-grill chicken until just firm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes per side; reserve.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of the avocado mixture on 6 pieces of focaccia; spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise on remaining pieces of focaccia, mayonnaise-side down.
- Lightly film a large, hot frying pan with olive oil.
- Pan grill sandwiches, lightly pressing down on each with a spatula, as they cook, until focaccia is browned on the bottom.
- Turn; repeat procedure.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.