What makes a California Deviled Egg? California Avocados of course! These mayo-free snacks are easy to make and popular at parties and on buffet tables.
California Deviled Eggs
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|8||eggs, large, fresh|
|2||Tbsp.||white onion, diced (or yellow onion)|
|1/4||cup||lower-sodium white beans, drained|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, quartered, peeled and seeded|
|1/8||tsp.||sea salt, or to taste|
|Smoked Paprika, or cayenne pepper, optional|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and remove from heat. Set timer for 12 minutes. Meanwhile prepare an ice bath to cool the eggs by adding ice and water to a large bowl. After the 12 minutes drain the hot water from the eggs and gently place them in the ice bath to chill.
- When the eggs are cold, peel them and slice them in half lengthwise. Remove yolks to a small bowl and arrange egg whites on a serving plate.
- In a food processor or blender puree the onions. Add the beans and puree. Add the avocado and lemon juice and blend until smooth, then blend in the reserved cooked egg yolks and blend until creamy. Taste, then add salt if desired.
- Spoon the avocado and egg mixture into the egg white halves. (Or for a more decorative look pipe the filling using a large open star or ruffle piping tip.)
- Sprinkle lightly with smoked paprika or cayenne if desired.
Serving Suggestion: To keep the eggs from sliding around on the serving plate, line the plate with baby spinach or other greens before adding the eggs.
Beverage Pairing: Sparkling rosé.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 81 mcg ; Vitamin C 2 mg ; Calcium 33 mg ; Iron 1 mg ; Vitamin D 1 mcg ; Folate 41 mcg ; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.08g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 6%