If you’re looking for a simple summer dish that’s perfect to share with friends and family, then you simply must try these Chicken and Rainbow Veggie Skewers paired with a tangy California Avocado Feta Ranch. The first skewer recipe features plump pieces of chicken thigh that have been marinated in olive oil, lemon, vinegar, garlic and herbs. The second skewer is made with a vibrant selection of fresh, seasonal veggies tossed in a garlicky vinaigrette. Both versions cook on a smoky, hot grill until tender and charred.
To serve, pile up skewers on a big platter and pass around to friends and family. Place little bowls of Avocado Feta Ranch around the table so everyone can scoop and dip as needed.
The marinade for the chicken skewers is a simple blend of olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and dill. You’ll use these herbs to make the ranch too! Let the chicken marinate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. This process infuses the chicken with flavor while tenderizing the meat.
Zucchini, peppers, tomatoes and California Avocados are all at their peak during the summer months, and their flavors really complement each other. Red onion is thrown into the mix for color and a hit of sweet spiciness. The veggies don’t need to marinate, so instead they’re tossed in a red wine and lemon vinaigrette infused with garlic.
As mentioned, California Avocados are at their peak and the final part of this meal is the Feta Ranch, a tangy dipping sauce that works well with both the chicken and the veggies. To prepare, blitz together ripe, fresh California Avocado, feta, buttermilk, lemon, honey, garlic, scallion, parsley, chive and dill in a food processor until mostly smooth. The finished sauce is light, bright and so delicious. You’ll seriously want to slather it on everything!
Chicken and Rainbow Veggie Skewers with California Avocado Feta Ranch Recipe
For the chicken skewers:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 tsbp. chopped chives
2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
For the veggie skewers:
2 zucchini, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch coins
2 red onions, peeled and trimmed, cut into wedges
1 pint cherry tomatoes
4 bell peppers, stems and insides removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the ranch:
1 ripe California Avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 cup shaken buttermilk
1/4 cup crumbled feta
2 scallions, root ends trimmed
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons chopped dill
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the chicken skewers, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper to a medium bowl, whisking to combine. Add the chicken, tossing to coat in the marinade. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- To make the rainbow veggie skewers, place prepared veggies in a large bowl. In a mason jar or measuring cup, add oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, shaking or whisking to combine. Pour vinaigrette over the veggies, tossing as you pour.
- Thread chicken onto metal skewers. You’ll need about 6. Thread veggies onto metal skewers, alternating between the different colors. You’ll need about 10 to 12 skewers. Prepare a charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Grill skewers until charred and cooked through. The chicken needs about 3 – 4 minutes per side while the veggie skewers need about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To prepare the ranch, add all ingredients with a pinch of salt and several turns of black pepper to a food processor, and blitz until mostly smooth. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, honey and lemon.
- To serve, pile skewers on large platter and pass around the table. Pour ranch into small bowls and let guests dip or spoon as needed!