The Too Hot Tamales set off fireworks again with this exceptional make-ahead salad featuring sweet-tart grapefruit and spicy barbequed chicken.
Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken with an Avocado Grapefruit Salad
Total Time: 50 min
IngredientsCabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 1/4 cup sour cream 1 serrano pepper, very finely diced, seeds optional As needed Kosher salt, to taste As needed Pepper, to taste 1/2 head green cabbage, thinly shredded 1 Ruby Red grapefruit, cut into supremes* Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken with Cabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad 2 Tbsp. ground ancho chile 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 3 tsp. sea salt 2 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup agave 1 Tbsp. molasses 4 grinds fresh pepper Cabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad (see make-ahead recipe above)
Cabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad Instructions
- In a large bowl, place half of the diced avocado and mash well with a fork.
- Add lime juice, sour cream and serrano pepper and mix until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, toss in the cabbage, grapefruit supremes and remaining avocado and toss gently to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken with Cabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad Instructions
- A few hours or up to a day ahead, mix together the ancho powder, cumin, pepper and 2/3 of the sea salt and rub all over chicken pieces. Place seasoned chicken on a rack, uncovered in the refrigerator to air dry until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To create the glaze, add the vinegar, agave, molasses, pepper and remaining sea salt to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce by half and then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place seasoned chicken in pan and place in oven to roast. After about 10 minutes, brush chicken with the glaze and continue roasting for an additional 20-30 minutes, glazing and turning the pieces every 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve chicken immediately with Cabbage, Grapefruit and California Avocado Salad.
*Note: To supreme a grapefruit, cut off the top and bottom of the grapefruit, exposing the fruit. Place flat side on a cutting board, and using a sharp knife, cut the peel away from the grapefruit, removing all the white pith. Discard peel. Next, segment the grapefruits by holding the grapefruit over a bowl, use a paring knife and cut next to the membrane on each side of each segment leaving membrane behind. Let segments fall into the bowl. Once the grapefruit has been segmented, squeeze the leftover membranes into the bowl to extract as much juice as possible. Strain juice into another bowl and set aside. Discard membranes.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2014, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, www.bordergrill.com
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados