This dish contains an array of my favorite things: pasta, avocado, veggies, and basil. And if you’re a pesto lover, like my family, you’ll wonder why you never thought of blending a California avocado with this sauce years ago! Besides an incredible flavor and creamy texture, you can feel free to improvise and add little more or less of each component or even include your own personal faves. Nutritionally, this dish is a nutrition power house with a high potency of vitamins C (220% DV) and K (270 % DV), an excellent source of vitamin A (60% DV) and Fiber (28% DV) and a good source of potassium (17% DV).
Creamy Avocado Pesto Pasta
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|Avocado Pesto Sauce|
|1||bunch||of fresh basil|
|1||bunch||of fresh parsley|
|1/4||cup||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1/2||cup||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled|
|1/8||tsp.||salt, or to taste|
|1/8||tsp.||pepper, or to taste|
|1||lb.||whole wheat pasta (or your favorite pasta)|
|1||small white onion, chopped|
|6||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||(8 oz.) package of pre-sliced Portabella mushrooms|
|1||red pepper, diced|
|1||orange pepper, diced|
|1||yellow pepper, diced|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled diced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Rinse basil leaves and remove leaves from stems; rinse parsley and trim stems. Discard stems. Dry (spin dry if possible) greens.
- Blend basil and parsley leaves, pistachios, garlic, Parmesan cheese and avocado oil together in a blender. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add avocado, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Briefly pulse again to combine.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Stir pasta into the pot of boiling water and cook pasta according to the pasta directions. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and peppers; cook and stir until fork tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to veggie mixture, stir to combine.
- Add California avocado pesto mixture above, and cook and stir until heated through, about 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place pasta mixture in a large bowl, add diced avocado; serve immediately.
Beverage pairing: A chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc or unoaked Chardonnay.
Vitamin A 2800 IU; Vitamin C 132 mg; Calcium 89 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 3 IU; Folate 90 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%; Vitamin C 220%; Calcium 8%; Iron15 %; Vitamin D 0%