Grilled Filet Mignon Sandwich with California Avocado Gorgonzola
IngredientsAs needed California Avocado Gorgonzola Spread (recipe follows) As needed Caramelized Onions (recipe follows) 8 4 oz. Filet Mignon Steaks 1 Tbsp. canola oil As needed Salt and pepper to taste 4 8 oz. Beefsteak tomatoes 8 Ciabatta rolls, toasted 1 large Fresh California Avocado*, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced California Avocado Gorgonzola Spread (Yield: 5 cups) 4 large Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and pitted (4 avocados) 12 oz. Gorgonzola cheese 1 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice 1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice 1 Tbsp. sriracha sauce 1/2 oz. fresh cilantro, chopped 1/2 oz. minced garlic As needed Salt and pepper to taste Caramelized Onions (Yield: 2 cups) 1 lb. 10 oz. Vidalia onions, sliced 1/4" thick 1 1/2 oz. olive oil As needed Salt and pepper to taste
California Avocado Gorgonzola Spread
- Coarsely mash the Fresh California Avocado. Mash in remaining ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap pressed into direct contact with the surface of the spread to minimize browning and store refrigerated until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over low heat. Add onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush steaks with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill to medium high heat. Grill the steaks to desired doneness. Let rest 5 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Starting on the bottom half of the Ciabatta roll, arrange one thinly sliced steak, then 4 ounces of sliced tomato, about 2 ounces of the caramelized onions, then 1 ounce of the Fresh California Avocado slices.
- Spread 5 ounces of the California Avocado Gorgonzola spread on the top half of the roll.
- Serve open faced
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados