Nutty quinoa and tart lemon pair well with creamy California Avocado in this super-easy stuffed avocado recipe. This half avocado treat starts by making its own bowl, adds great taste and then packs a nutrient punch. Zero cholesterol, low-sodium, an excellent source of vitamins C and K (25% DV), dietary fiber (24% DV) along with a good source of potassium (15% DV), vitamin E (10 DV%). If you like this, try one of the other four recipes shown in the photo.
Quinoa Stuffed Grilled California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, large, halved and seeded*|
|2||tsp.||fresh lemon juice, or more to taste|
|1/3||cup||quinoa, cooked, warm|
|Basil, to taste|
|Sea salt, to taste|
|4||grape tomatoes, small, halved|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle avocado halves with a little of the lemon juice, then brush them with the oil. Place cut side down on the hot grill just until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Remove and place on serving plates.
- Combine quinoa, lemon juice and zest.
- Cut basil into chiffonade strips and stir into quinoa. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Fold the tomatoes into the quinoa.
- Mound the quinoa mix into the grilled avocado halves. Garnish with a basil leaf if desired and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Other whole grains such as barley and bulgur, as well as legumes such as lentils also make great fillings for California Avocado halves.
Beverage Pairing: Chardonnay.
*or 2 small ripe, Fresh California Avocados, halved and seeded.
(Nutrition information is without optional ingredients)
Vitamin A 397 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 19 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 81 mcg;
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%; Vitamin D 0%