The spirit of the Wild West is in these burgers with bison, BBQ sauce, fried onions and California Avocado. The nutrition on this burger is quite impressive with 36 g of protein and an excellent source of dietary fiber and potassium (two nutrients consumers do not get enough of), iron and folate along with a good source of vitamin c and E.
Wild West Bison Burger With California Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||yellow onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings|
|1||lb.||lean ground bison|
|1 1/2||tsp.||stone ground mustard|
|1/2||Tbsp.||fresh ground black pepper|
|1||tsp.||kosher salt, or to taste|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and quartered|
|3||Tbsp.||olive oil, or more as needed|
|4||whole grain, sesame seed buns|
|2||oz.||dill or bread and butter pickle chips|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Separate onion layers, place in bowl of cold water.
- Meanwhile gently combine bison, mustard, pepper and half the salt.
- Form 4 ½”-thick patties; reserve.
- Slice avocado quarters into thin slices and gently fan each slice so they overlap. Cover and reserve.
- Drain onions, pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and remaining salt; add onions and coat thoroughly. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick pan.
- When hot add an even layer of onions; cook 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with remaining onions.
- In same pan heat remaining oil on medium high heat. Add two patties, cover and cook 4 minutes on each side. Repeat with other patties.
- Without cleaning pan add buns cut-side down; toast 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble burgers with barbecue sauce on bun, patty, avocado slices, pickle chips and fried onions.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 196 IU; Vitamin C 8 mg; Calcium 84 mg; Iron 6 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 132 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 8%; Iron 35%